Wednesday, December 27, 2006

James Brown NYE

I guess it shouldn't come as any great shock when someone who's 73 dies of natural causes. Still, the sudden departure of James Brown comes as a slap in the face to Baby Boomers such as myself. Here was a guy who's been around our whole lives and who was still doing it - never stopped giggin' - and then, like a fireworks show that you didn't know was over, it's just over.

He was scheduled to perform at B.B. King's Blues Club in Times Square on New Year's Eve. I went over there on the day he died to bear witness.
The marquee had not yet been changed.


As I took some shots, a man from the club came out with a ladder to perform a sad job.


He told me they were just removing the "NYE" from the marquee and "James Brown" would stay up for a while, and he kindly invited me into the lobby to photograph and sign a memorial poster, which I did.



A fond farewell to the Godfather of Soul, the "king of us all, y'all".

3 comments:

  1. Very sad to hear of his passing but just where did he get all his energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless the Godfather!

    Happy New Yera G.S!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How 'bout the Rev. Al on the road trip to take JB all the way from GA to NY? I wonder if he let JB's live in girlfriend in the car or if he locked her out too?

    ReplyDelete