I have been tagged by my cyber buddy Jodester, author of the never-fails-to-bring-a-smile blog, DON'T PANIC, and now I am charged with the responsibility of writing six "random things" about myself, and further charged with the task of tagging six other bloggers. And not only that, there was an implication that it would be rude not to participate.
Oh god, the burden of these social commitments! Now I know how Henry Kissinger must feel!
My approach to my own blog has been that it's more about them, not so much about me. Or maybe I should say it's about me commenting about them. My view is that it's more virtuous to be interested than it is to be interesting. (Not to say that there's anything wrong with being interesting, too, of course.) So having said that and therefore washed away any guilt about becoming self-indulgent, okay, Jodester, here are six random things...
1. I am a creature of habit. I eat almost the same exact meals every day of the week.
2. When I was 19 I was a student in Kenya for half a year and narrowly escaped encounters with a rhinoceros, an elephant, and a swarm of killer bees.
3. I was at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival, where Dylan "went electric".
4. I grew up in Levittown, Long Island, the world's first sprawling suburban housing development. (The house I grew up in, the 1951 model, cost my parents $8,000 and came with a television built into the living room wall.)
5. My oldest and closest childhood friend was Bill O'Reilly.
6. In 30 years of taxi driving, I have never hit a pedestrian. Every time you think you've got one, somehow they slip out of the way!
Okay, I am now tagging the following bloggers:
1. Lucky 327 at NYC Taxi. A fellow NYC taxi driver, writer, and photographer.
2. Fee at Five Corners at Claonairigh. She writes about family life at a Scottish B&B. (No, I can't pronounce it, either.)
3. Angela at Pondring. Perhaps the world's greatest Dave Matthews fan.
4. John at Dublin Taxi. Dublin taxi driver who claims there are more taxis in Dublin than in NYC. Can this be true???
5. Bob at Taxi Tales. Insightful taxi driver in a place called Furness, Cumbria, in the U.K.
6. Mike at Mike's Mixed Memories. A retired Maine-er with a wealth of knowledge.
The rules, if you want to play, are:
- link to the person who tagged you (me)
- post the rules on your blog
- write six random things about yourself in a blog post
- tag six people you know in your post
- let each person know they are tagged by writing a comment on their blog
- let the tagger know your post has been published.
And one other thing. Just click here for Pictures From A Taxi!